Wednesday, June 11, 2014

GO FOR YOUR DREAM, NEVER GIVE UP (14)


Adepitan playing against the US in the quarter-finals of the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens.

I watching BBC regularly daily basis, my heart questioning who is seat over a wheel chair who show up in many occasions interview shop owner, present travel destinations in many countries. I was stunning and curious about him with disability able to be a TV presenter to motivate people in such condition.
 

After Google, I find out that he is Ade Adepitan, born 27 March 1973
in Lagos, Nigeria on 27 March 1973. At the age of 6 months, Adepitan contracted polio which resulted in the loss of function of his left leg, and ultimately prevented him from walking.

At the age of three, Adepitan and his mother emigrated to London, United Kingdom to join his father. He was educated at Southern Road Primary School. From an early age, he had aspirations of becoming an international sportsman.

Ade Adepitan: 'My parents thought me getting into a wheelchair was like me giving up on walking’.

One day he came home with a sports wheelchair presented by Frank Bruno's boxing club. It was worth £700, and he adored it. His parents were furious.  "My parents thought me getting into a wheelchair was like me giving up on walking. And they were worried about the stigma. People in wheelchairs out and about was a completely new thing to most people."
His father threw the wheelchair out of the house. Adepitan sneaked it back in and hid it under tarpaulin in the garden.

Wonderful days, Adepitan says. When he left home at 16 he told his parents he wanted to make a living as a basketball player. "Imagine if your kids said to you, and this is back in the 1980s: 'Dad, I want to be a wheelchair basketball player, and that's how I'm going to make a living.'  But he thought of it on an even grander scale because he was convinced I was ruining my life."

It was one of the greatest moments of my life, and my phone started ringing, and I picked it up and it was Mum. 'I can see you on the TV, you are on the big screen.' And when I came back from Sydney Dad was crying and he gave me a big hug, and he realised this is what I wanted to do and that was it, we were mates again."

Adepitan carries the Olympic Flame over the Millenium Bridge, 26 July 2012.

Adeptitan is an accomplished wheelchair basketball player, for his club Milton Keynes Aces and as a member of Great Britain team that won the gold medal at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens and the gold medal at the 2005 Paralympic World Cup in Manchester, United Kingdom.

Adepitan has featured on many television programmes and series as an actor, presenter or guest, particularly for the BBC. He often uses television as a platform to campaign against racism and disability discrimination. 

Sources : Wikipedia, The Guardian

No comments: