Friday, April 30, 2010

HIGHWAY MAN by Alfred Noyes

One kiss, my bonnie sweetheart, I'm after prize tonight
But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light
Yet if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day
Then look for me by moonlight
Watch for me by moonlight, I'll come to thee by moonlight
though hell should bar the way

He didn't come in the dawning, he didn't come at noon
And out of tawny sunset, before the rise of the moon
When the road was a gyspsy's ribbon over the purple moor
The redcoat trop marching marching
Marching - marching
King George's men came marching, up to the old inn door

And still on the winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees
When the moon is the ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas
When the road is a gypsy's ribbon looping the purple moor
The highway man comes riding
Riding - riding
The highway man comes riding, up to the old inn door

No comments: